Tuesday, October 9, 2012

31 days of Halloween: Day 9

I am sooooooo excited about today's project!
I have attempted to alter an altoid tin before, and it was an epic fail!
Today however I am very excited about my hand coffin
Yep, that's right, a hand coffin...
Just in case you have some hands hanging around your house and you need somewhere to keep them!

I started this project trying to make the box look rusted. Does it??
I have never really tried this, and I decided to use paints
To achieve this rusted look!


It worked, but was a lot of work... Layer after layer of paint!

I looked at the box when it was done, and thought well, what can I make it into?? So I decided to add the bone hands inside.

I added some lace around the bottom, and even though you can't see it,
There are little feet on the bottom.
I had some white faux fur in my fabric stash that I added to the bottom of the box!
Then I did some embossing and glitter on the top inside of the box. 

Finally I embossed the clock onto some aluminum tape that I colored with alcohol inks.
I ran a little staz on over the face of the clock so the numbers would pop out
Then I pounded some glass beads and adhered them to the surface.
I am finally happy with the outcome of an altered tin! 

Entering into:
Recycle, repurpose, reinvent: Halloween and no bones about it
Simon says stamp and show: Rustification
Craft room: Alter it
Tuesday alchemy: Anything goes
Shopping our stash: Tic tac toe (sparkle, ribbon, embossing)
Alphabet challenge: R for recycle

21 comments:

  1. Love the skeleton hands peeking out from under the tin lid! Nicely aged tin too - thanks for joining us for this week's Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very fun, very cool, thanks for sharing at craft room challenge, Debi x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one was an epic success! What a great altered tin. It definitely looks old and rusted. Love the hands and the embossed clock. The lace, fun fur, and feet are cool details. Thanks for joining us at Recycle, Re-Purpose & Re-Invent. I hope you will join us again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! You totally captured the rust look! Those skeleton hands are great too! So spooky & fun! :)

    Thanks for sharing your creativity at the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!!!
    -Sarah

    For More Opportunities:
    *Follow Simon Says Stamp on Twitter
    *Like Simon Says Stamp on Facebook
    *Subscribe to Simon Says Stamp on YouTube
    *Follow Simon Says Stamp on Pinterest
    *Sign up for our Newsletter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this, such a fun project, and very useful if you have any spare hands kicking about lol. You certainly haven't failed this time in your attempt to alter a tin. Thanks for playing at Craft Room Challenge and good luck. Julia xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. O-M-G!!! How cool is this??! I love it!! I've always wanted to do an altoid tin, this looks like a lot of work!!

    Thanks so much for joining us this week at Tuesday Alchemy!!

    Good luck & Cheers!
    Kelli♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the work you put into that rusted effect, well worth it! Your project is wonderful. The perfect resting place for those special hands ;-) Thanks for entering at Recycle, Re-Purpose, & Re-Invent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course this is a perfect box for those spare pair of hands! And it does look rusted - very cool! The blue embossing and glitter inside is very pretty. So glad you linked up at Recycle, RePurpose & ReInvent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oohhh love this! It is just right up my alley! Great job on altering the tin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And here I was just thinking, 'where could I keep my extra hands...' LOL!
    Seriously, this is fantastic and your rust technique and the clock are wonderful! Such a fun decorative piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SPOOKY hand box..almost looks like smoke coming out with the hands! Fantastic!

    Thanks for joining us Alphabet Challenge Blog.

    Roxx.T

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fun and clever project! Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this has turned out fantastic, and it really does look old and rusted. I agree with another comment, it almost like the hands are coming out of smoke! Absolutely fabulous creation, thanks for joining in with our Alter It theme over at the Craft-Room Challenge.

    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun project, I love it. Thank you for joining us at Craft-Room Challenge.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh very creepy!! thanks for joining us at Pile it on "Vintage/Shabby Chic Challenge"- hope to see you again next week - kimberly DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great use of your altered tin! The hands are fab inside!

    Thanks for joining us at the Alphabet Challenge Blog!

    Sheena
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. So Darn Fun and Creative...Thanks for Joining us at The Inspiration Journal!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for joining in the tic-tac-toe challenge at Shopping our Stash! This is a super cool project! love the way you altered that tin and the clock face is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tghis makes me smile, scary as may be,....LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How fun with the fingers peeping out..well maybe they are crawling out! Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks so beautiful and antique. I love to see this stuff in my lounge :).
    More info

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments! They are the cherry on top of my sundae!